Livin' off the grid-
Like many a restauranteur across our great nation, you too may be thinking (in an ubiquitous 'merican accent) "What, yer what now?- running that there van off what? Used fryer oil?? Grease?"
The answer is yes- why yes, we are.:
1) First we find any restaurant alongside the highway, in this case we stopped at Ray's in Green River, Utah.
(Ray's happened to be one of the only open establishments in this old dilapidated, boarded-up, dusty and depressed desert town.)
2) Next check for grease behind the joint. Usually to our dismay, it's directly next to the trash bins.
3) Find the 55 gallon drum of used fryer vegetable oil.
4) Bail the grease from the source, one bucket to the next and pour it (looks like maple syrup or caramel in a candy bar commercial) right through the strainers and filters into the 100 gallon tank that sits right in back of the van.
5) Sometimes it's really, really rank and the smell makes you want to retch.
6) After cleaning and washing up a bit, we immediately feel the rush of satisfaction from being able to drive across our vast country for less than $40 thus far, not supporting the thorny current political situation which dizzyingly revolves around the oil industry and last but certainly not least, using a cleaner burning, naturally re-newable resource. Hor-ray!!!